This is my 3rd project for this months design kit
for the Scrapbook Garden
Its a set of advent drawers made with 24 matchboxes .
I started by emptying out all the matches into a tub.
I have no idea what i will use all of the matches for but ive
enough to light my candles for years (although no box to strike them on now)
next I used some red acrylic paint and painted the inside of each drawer
and the end that was to be the front of the drawer with the red paint.
I must admit it felt a bit like a Blue Peter special and
unfortunately I didnt have some Id made earlier
as they used to have.
next I took all the outers of the boxes and glued them together
in groups of 3's.
Making a note to keep all of the sandpaper edges on one side.
Next I used a sheet of chipboard and cut myself a base and a top
just slightly bigger than the boxes.
Next i used the largest of a scalloped nested square from a Tando pack of 3
I used a gold dabber to colour it down
Next I covered my base chipboard with some
a delicious colour which went perfectly against the gold dabber
Next using my hole punch i added small brads to the front of the drawers
to look like little handles.
Next i added some strength to the boxes with double sided
tape before covering one side with
You only need to cover one side as thats all
that will show when they are joined together
After glueing the boxes together i added some double sided tape
to give extra strength all around the outer edge of the formation.
Doing the same with the next level i added
double sided tape to the inner of the structure
so that when joined together there was double strength
tape on each bottom and top
Layering them up, as they came together they
became very sturdy.
I added the top , using the
I printed some teeny numbers on my computer
1 - 24 and cut them out. Although you cant see on the photo
I matted them onto French Vanilla cardstock to give added
strength and make them a bit more hard wearing.
I was quite pleased with my little set of drawers
although I wont be taking orders as they took 9 hours to make.
But i was very pleased at just how strong they were not at all
flimsy which was what I was worried about at the beginning.
I added a couple of Authentique noteables to the sides just to give some extra detail
and they will stand out with my Christmas decorations pride of place.
I did enjoy myself and it took me right back to my youth , making homemade
furniture for my dolls , although my dolls never had anything as grand as this .
Thanks for stopping by my blog and for leaving a comment
as always its much appriciated .