Friday 27 March 2009

ABAA - Birdhouse











This is my entry for the ABAA which this week was birdhouses.

Im so sorry im late again, I made my birdhouse from a block of wood. Roofs are not my strong point as anyone will remember who has been following my blog for a while.
I always struggle with them. Anyway, I decided that I would make my birdhouse look as though it was in the trunk of a tree.

I covered the block with gesso, then put card on 3 sides. Using snowtex i created the look of bark adding brown and green paint.
I added a little black circle to look as though there was a bird entrance in the tree.

Next i covered the opposite side with papers, and made a nest with raffia and feathers adding eggs and stamped birds.
Lastly I added a couple of woodland nymphs to the bark of the tree.

Im pleased with it and it will be getting a new home in my mams conservatory.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

9 comments:

Rosie said...

This is super work Jaqi - and how lovely that you have shared the process too, that's always much appreciated. I love the textured surface, and particularly the fairies!
Thanks for being with us again.
Love
Rosie ABAA

Linda Vincent said...

What a lovely birdhouse Jaqi - and I think its great that your mum is going to have it in her conservatory! Its really good to see the process you went through... thank you for showing us.
Hugs
Linda x

Genie said...

Hi Jaqi
Thanks for comment on mine
Love yours also. i am not good at roofs either,Thats why i went for the quirky look

Unknown said...

Charming! i really love the feathers at the base and the moon really ancores everything...lovely!

Thanks for sharing your process also...I never would have guessed how you did that...

perfect!

~*~Patty S said...

Love your bird house Jaqi! So original, the close ups are super. The texture you achieved certainly is an inspiration too, great raffia and feather nest, Love it all! Your Mum must be so tickled with it!

nancy said...

What a wonderful, unique take on the birdhouse. Beautiful work. I am so delighted with your thoughtfulness -- there is a message for you on my blog
More Than Enough

Maureen said...

A great birdhouse Jaqi, but why can't you do a roof? - I just ran the metal (or card) thro my cuttlebug in an embossing folder then cut out a triangle - go on have a go!!!

Lynn said...

Hi Jaqi, hope you are keeping well :) I love what you made out of a simple block of wood, the snowtex is a great idea , and I love when people explain how they do things, thanks, you did a great bird house, love it!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Jaqi! That's really cute! Love your blog! - Lizi

http://www.alllizi.blogspot.com

This is brilliant , i love it !